is Ham Radio Deluxe worth it

Device firmware, computer software, etc.
VK2HEZ

is Ham Radio Deluxe worth it

Post by VK2HEZ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 am

Does anybody else use Ham Radio Deluxe?

Is it worth the $99.95 US?

Cheers and 73,

VK2HEZ.

VK2DKM

Re: is Ham Radio Deluxe worth it

Post by VK2DKM » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Well in my not so humble opinion, it is not.
I can not comment on the version you are referring to, only the earlier free versions.
Back in the dark ages of windoze I used HRD and found it mostly very good and satisfying.
Having emerged into the brighter world of Linux,I found HRD not really as good as it was under windoze direct...but still does work.
I have found that FLRIG and FLDIGI are adequate for rig control, also wsjt-x will now look after things on the jt65 - ft8 etc side of things,
So if I want to snap to a particular band/frequency/mode, flrig does it nicely, with some panel functions such as volume rf gain nb power output etc. the only thing missing are some of the bells and whistles that HRD offers.
but often there is more on offer that any one person wants.
Hope this helps,
cheers,
Doug

VK2PR

Re: is Ham Radio Deluxe worth it

Post by VK2PR » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi Jason,

Nice to see you at the meeting the other night.

My opinion, as a HRD user, is yes, it's very much worth it. There is a catch though; if you want continuing support and upgrade options, you'll have to keep renewing your subscription, which can be a bit costly if you're not using it to its full potential. If you intend to use most of the great features, and continue to use them, then you won't find a better logging program than HRD.

Peter
VK2PR